The Calumet City Crime Free Rental Housing Program is designed to help residents, owners and managers of rental units keep drugs and other illegal activity off their properties. It emphasizes cooperation among property owners, tenants and the City of Calumet City to help neighborhoods fight crime and disorder. This program has been under way in Calumet City since 2010 and has been updated in 2022. The program requires landlords to:
- Obtain an annual license under the program
- Attend a training seminar conducted by Calumet City Police Department staff
- Add the Crime Free Housing Lease Addendum on their tenants’ leases
The program is a nationally recognized, effective way to reduce crime in rental properties. It utilizes a unique, three-part approach which ensures the crime prevention goal while maintaining a resident-friendly approach. This program covers all residential rental units, including apartments, single-family homes, individual condominiums and townhomes. The program includes:
- Phase One: Requires property owners, managers or agents to attend a mandatory training seminar presented by the Calumet City Police Department.
- Phase Two: Requires the property owner, manager or agent to meet the minimum security requirements of Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED). CPTED reviews security requirements necessary to enhance residents’ safety.
- Phase Three: (OPTIONAL) An optional resident crime prevention meeting can be conducted for full certification. A “safety social” is offered in which all residents are invited to meet with the police and discuss the program.
The program’s training for landlords and managers focuses on:
Prevention and Applicant Screening
- How code compliance (preparing the property) can protect landlord rights
- Benefits of applicant screening
- Tips to strengthen rental agreements
- How to become a proactive manager
- Maintaining a fire safe environment
- Developing life and safety awareness
Drug Nuisance Awareness
- Warning signs of drug activity
- Actions to take if a resident or resident’s guests are conducting illegal activities on the property
- Role of the police
- Crisis resolution and the nuisance abatement
When drug criminals and other destructive residents operate out of rental properties, neighborhoods suffer, and landlords pay a high price. The Calumet City Crime Free Rental Housing Program is designed to enhance the safety for rental property tenants, managers, landlords, the surrounding neighborhood, and the entire community.
For additional information, please contact Crime Free Housing at 708-868-2500 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain landlord forms, to view and register for upcoming training seminar dates and times, please visit:
The Crime Free Rental Housing Program is required under Article XIV Section 54 of the Calumet City Municipal Code.