“A mindset that leads you to notice unusual or suspicious behavior / circumstances and reporting your observations to authorities in a logical, rational and timely manor.”
Heightened security is not intended to induce fear and panic. People should go about their normal business while paying particular attention to their surroundings.
Suspicious Behavior / Circumstances:
Be aware of and report to Calumet City Police Department (868 – 2500).
- People in buildings or areas who do not appear to be conducting legitimate business.
- People monitoring areas, buildings or entrances.
- Unauthorized people in restricted, sensitive or private areas.
- People requesting information with no apparent need for that information.
- People wearing clothing not consistent with the weather conditions at mass population events: (bulky coat in warm weather, etc.)
- Abandoned parcels or other items in unusual locations or high traffic areas.
- Individual attempting to access utility locations (water, electrical, petroleum, telecommunications, information systems).
- Multiple persons who appear to be working in unison, committing the above.
Be Alert to:
- Abandoned vehicles
- Vehicles parked near buildings or public common areas
- Unexpected / unfamiliar delivery trucks
- Unfamiliar vehicles parked for long periods
- Vehicles containing Unusual / suspicious parcels or materials
- Vehicles arriving and being left behind at odd hours
- Substances leaking or spilling from vehicles
Building / Office Security:
- Don’t prop open building or windows. Rectify these situations when you observe them.
- Account for and secure keys. Don’t leave them unattended or give to unauthorized persons. Report lost keys to the public safety police department.
- Account for and secure all sensitive material / information when not able to attend to it.
- Account for and secure all sensitive deliveries in a timely manor.
- Secure all areas when not attended.
- Be aware of unfamiliar persons or visitors to your office / lab etc.
- Protect access codes, combinations and cards, change codes regularly. Report compromised codes to the person in charge of area.
- Be prepared: Take time out to familiarize yourself with building evacuation plans / routes.
- Report suspicious tampering with physical security (doors, locks etc.)
- Talk with co-workers; know what is out-of-place (unclaimed items etc.)