On October 12, 2021, the City passed a resolution instituting a moratorium on the issuance of business licenses effective through December 31, 2021. The City has restructured the process for obtaining a business license and revised various portions of the City Code governing business licenses and business operations. This memorandum is intended to provide an overview of the process and deadlines for the current licensing period. This memorandum is NOT intended to provide a comprehensive summary of the legislative changes. All business owners are expected to read and familiarize themselves with the portions of the City code and comply with all code provisions that are applicable to the respective businesses.
Summary of Revisions
Major revisions include the following:
- The City will no longer accept printed, hardcopy license applications. All applications and supporting documentation must be submitted via electronic mail to email@example.com. All supporting documentation must be included with the application.
- An application processing fee of $150 must be paid before any application will be processed. This fee is intended to cover administrative costs associated with the review and processing of the application including but not limited to legal review for code compliance, zoning and sign review, review and/or inspections by the appropriate city departments. This fee is non-refundable.
- Failure to complete any portion of the application or failure to submit any required supporting documentation will be grounds for automatic denial of the application. It is the applicant’s responsibility to fill out each section of the application. If a section is not applicable, please indicate.
- Business owners are required to provide an email address to be used for communications with the City. This email address will be used to communicate pertinent information regarding the business license application and notifications regarding the status of the application.
- If the business license application is approved, the license fee shall be due within 7 days of notice of the approval. The fees for business licenses are contained in the fee schedule. Note that the business license expires automatically on December 31 of each year and an application must be submitted prior to expiration of the license to avoid delay in obtaining the new license.
- No business license will be issued until payment of the licensing fee is received. No business is authorized to operate until receipt of a business license except those businesses who were licensed prior to the October 2021 moratorium.
Deadlines for 2022 licenses
- License applications will be available online at www.calumetcity.org on or about February 11, 2022.
- All applications must be submitted by February 25, 2022, or within two weeks of the application being made available on the city website. If a business fails to submit the application by that date and is found to be operating, the business will be subject to citations and penalties. Businesses who submit completed applications by the deadline will be allowed to continue existing operations and will NOT be cited for operating without a business license during the pendency of the license review.
Mayor Thaddeus M. Jones