Emergency Service & Disaster Agency (ESDA)
“Common People doing Uncommon Things”
ESDA is a group of men and women formed to assist in a time of emergency.
It is the task of the Calumet City Emergency Service & Disaster Agency to educate, prepare for and assist in the mitigation of a recovery from emergency situations, whether naturally occurring or man-made, within the City of Calumet City and beyond. We are prepared and trained to provide these services anywhere, anytime and under any conditions, without hesitation or regard for personal hardship.
Our appearance is neat and appropriate for duty when resp onding to schedule and unscheduled needs. Our professional conduct and personal manner is beyond question, as we portray ourselves as a credit to our city. We have chosen to perform these tasks not for reward or recognition, but to help keep our city a fine place in which to live.
Calumet City ESDA is accredited by the Illinois Emergency Management Agency and the Cook County Illinois Emergency Management Agency. To receive the accreditation, the department is responsible for disaster mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery in the City while following the Federal Emergency Management Agency philosophy.
- Assists all city departments when needed
- Provides a street patrol to support the Neighborhood Watch program
- Assists with opening of locked vehicles
- ESDA currently staffs a routine fourteen hour daily schedule with 17 members who are trained in severe weather spotting by the National Weather Service.
- Provides traffic control and auxiliary lighting at traffic accidents, structural fires and other incidents
- Conducts public education presentations
- Removes deceased persons within city limits
ESDA currently staffs a routine fourteen hour daily schedule with 17 members who are trained in severe weather spotting by the National Weather Service.
Our current ESDA Fleet consists of:
- 12 patrol vehicles
- One truck
- 4wd main light truck with a 10 kw generator
- Morgue van
Monday – Friday
10:00 am – 2:00 pm